Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Initial Research

Published on 3/29/17 @ 1:44am
Tonight, I'm up late doing research on how my trip to Cuba would look. I haven't done any extensive research yet, but it's looking like my best bets (in terms of reasons to back up my visit to the country) are going to be either journalism, educational, or general support for Cuban people. Through the blog posts we did during our trip to New Zealand, I think I might have created a platform from which I could travel to a bunch of different countries. I like the sound of becoming a traveling rollerblading journalist/student covering stories about social welfare and rollerblading.
Naturally, there are a lot of questions running through my mind. I'm scared of being held up at the airport upon arrival and not being let into the country for whatever reason. I'm trying to push this thought out of my head so I can concentrate on what's right in front of me right now.
Today, I finally bought my ticket to Santo DomingoDominican Republic. I'll be leaving San Juan on July 7th, and flying into Las Americas Airport early that afternoon. What a blessing; Edwin's dad is letting me crash with their family. I'm really excited to have the opportunity to explore our neighboring island with locals who currently live there. I'm currently trying to figure out exactly how much time I'm going to spend there. I told Edwin that I would need a place from the 7th-11th of July, thinking that I was going to make at least one more stop somewhere before coming back to the states 
With all of these questions in the air about where I'm going to be living for the second half of this year, I find refuge in my guitar and roller blades. I also have a really awesome loving support system of close friends that has my back. Without the support of various dope ass individuals in my life right now, I probably wouldn't have the balls to make an honest effort to get into Cuba for a few days.

Trip so far:

Depart Oakland on Wednesday, June 14th at 5:33pm
Arrive in Vegas on Wednesday, June 14th. at 6:58pm

Depart Vegas on Tuesday, June 20th at 11:05pm
Arrive in Philadelphia at 7:04am
Depart Philadelphia on Wednesday, June 21st at 8:20am
Arrive in San Juan at 12:13pm

Depart San Juan on Friday, July 7th at 12:24pm
Arrive in Santo Domingo on Friday, July 7th at 1:27pm

On July 7th, I will have physically been in 3 different countries. I hope this first blog post will start a compelling and informative narrative to the struggle that an American minority student's traveler faces in the time of extreme political climate and overall what-the-fuck-ness.
 I'm dumping all of my money and resources into this trip, and I don't even feel bad. I got to finish my homework. It's 1:34am. I got political science in the morning and I can't miss it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment