Sunday, June 11, 2017

List of places to check out: Cuba

I fly into Havana on Monday afternoon, giving me 18 days to roam the country before I have to be back there on July 28th for my flight to SF. I've compiled a list of places (based off of my research of the country's history) that I want to check out while I'm there. I'll add to this list when I figure out my life a little better,

Havana

El Malecon is a strip along the north side of the island that overlooks the Caribbean. It's sort of like a giant stone wall-bench in between the city of Havana and the Caribbean Sea, where locals will sit, socialize, fish, and partake in general badassery. I want to make sure I snap a photo of El Malecon while I'm there, as well as swim in the water and socialize with locals. I have the advantage of looking, smelling, and talking like I'm from the Caribbean (with my 10 year old child Spanish), so I'm really excited about connecting with Latinos in this country and gaining insight into their everyday highs and lows.

Mosque Abdallah is a young mosque that was established in Havana on June 17th, 2015. This is going to be such a blessing to check out. It's awesome to see Islam reach as far as communist Cuba. I'll miss Ramadan in Cuba this year, but from what I have seen on the Internet, the opening of this mosque was well-received in the community. The Cuban Communist Party has gradually eased its policies around religion, with even the pope having visited in recent years. It'll be eye opening to see how Muslims from the Caribbean practice their faith in a place as Catholic as Cuba.


https://www.worldcrunch.com/culture-society/a-saudi-hand-guides-quiet-rise-of-islam-in-cuba

Cienfuegos

Parque Jose Marti is the central plaza of Cienfuegos, a town I'll be stopping in on my way down to Trinidad. It was named after "the father of cuban independence", Jose Marti, who Fidel Castro drew much inspiration from. Marti was a Cuban poet and influential politician who advocated for Cuban Independence and supposedly warned against American political interests before the end of the Spanish American War. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Mart%C3%AD
http://theinternationalcommittee.org/jose-marti-and-fidel-castro-two-lifetimes-connected-by-the-same-revolution/

Bahia de Cienfuegos HAS FLAMINGOS!!!!

Trinidad

Playa Ancon is a beach resort area that lies a few kilometers from Trinidad. It's on the way to Santiago, so I'm going to stop and check out one of the first new resorts to be developed after the 1959 revolution. I have seen some really cool pictures of the area and want to try diving if I can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad,_Cuba#Tourism


Santiago De Cuba

Santa Ifigenia Cemetary is where Fidel Castro's ashes were laid to rest.


Santa Clara

Che Guevara Mausoleum is where Che Guevara's remains can be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment